12/18/2008

Happy Birthday!

One of the things I really like about this place is the culture surrounding birthdays. When it is your birthday, it is your responsibility to treat your friends, so everyone looks forward to the birthdays of their friends! This year for my birthday I wanted to celebrate a teenager that lives in my neighborhood named *Karen. She will celebrate her 15th birthday on Christmas day and in all her life, no one has told her whose birthday she shares...until this year. We have had so much fun together each week reading the word together, so on my birthday I wanted to treat Karen. We got her a cake and a few small gifts and threw her a birthday party with the family that she nannies for. She has never had a birthday party before...she comes from an underprivileged family and has to work to send money home. She dropped out of school after 3rd grade. Pray that she would have a real encounter with the One True God. Here is the story of her party:





No comments: