6/12/2012

What's cooking?

With two waves of Grandparents on their way for the summer, my neighbor, Nini, graciously offered to come over and teach me how to cook a couple of local dishes that I can prepare for my family while they are here. Nini treats Cadence like her own grandchild and we are so blessed to have her living just around the corner. It makes it seem like family isn't quite so far away when we can drop by Nini's house each day. For the past two mornings, we ate breakfast with her...delicious yellow rice with shredded chicken and vegetables that she has ready by 7am each morning. These are just a few of the spices that she used. Cadence was taking notes as Nini sat on the floor and ground the spices by hand with a mortar and pestle. Nini did most of the work while I wrote out recipes for shredded chicken and mixed vegetables. These are two of my favorite dishes, made from the freshest ingredients, nothing dried or powdered or refined in any way. It's delicious served over brown rice...you have to taste it!

No comments: